Colonel Sheldon B. Wilson is the Commander of the 165th Airlift Wing, Georgia Air National Guard, in Savannah, Georgia. As the commander, he provides leadership to more than 1400 Airmen organized across four Groups and two geographically separated units, the 224th Joint Communication Support Squadron in Brunswick, Georgia and the 117th Air Control Squadron at Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia. He helps ensure the Wing and its Airmen are trained and equipped to support domestic operations and overseas missions at a moment’s notice.
Colonel Wilson enlisted in the Air Force Reserves in 1993 as a Medical Technician, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina. Upon graduation from The Citadel, he was recruited as an Air Battle Manager with the 117th Air Control Squadron, Savannah, Georgia. After being commissioned, he was assigned to a two-year tour as an executive officer with the National Guard Bureau; Command, Control, Communications, Airspace and Ranges Branch, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. During his tour, he was selected for a Mobility Pilot position with the 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Georgia. Colonel Wilson entered Undergraduate Pilot Training in 2000 and earned his wings in 2002 at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. Within four months of returning to the 165th Airlift Wing, he deployed in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. Over the next 18 years, he deployed nine times in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, FREEDOM SENTINEL, and INHERENT RESOLVE. His operations support experience also includes Wing Plans Officer, Chief of Training, Director of Operations, Chief of Standardizations and Evaluations, Squadron Commander, and Deputy Operations Group Commander. Colonel Wilson has also deployed in support of the European Command as a Detachment Commander for the Air Reserve Component to manage C-130 operations. In 2019 Colonel Wilson became the 165th Operations Group Commander. Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Wilson served as the vice commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins Air Force Base Georgia, where he was responsible for assisting the commander with the worldwide employment of the E-8C Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System aircraft.
1997 Bachelor of Science Degree, Biology, The Citadel, Charleston, S.C.
2014 Intermediate Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2017 Air War College, by correspondence, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1993–July 1998, Medical Technician, 315th Medical Group, Charleston AFB,S.C.
2. July 1998–June 2000, 117th Air Control Squadron, Hunter Army Airfield,Ga.
3. June 1998–July 1998, commissioning, Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson Air Guard Base, Tenn.
4. August 1998–October 2000, Executive Officer, National Guard Bureau, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. October 2000–March 2002, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Columbus, Miss.
6. March 2002–December 2002, C-130 Mission Qualification, Little Rock, AFB,Ark.
7. December 2005–April 2006, Aircraft Commander, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga.
8. October 2007–March 2013, Wing Plans Officer, 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Ga.
9. November 2009–June 2022, Instructor Pilot, 158th Airlift Squadron, Savannah, Ga.
10. January 2011–June 2022, Evaluator Pilot, 158th Airlift Squadron, Savannah, Ga.
11. March 2013-March 2015, Chief of Training, 165th Operations Support Squadron, Savannah,Ga.
12. November 2014–March 2015, Director of Operations, 158th Airlift Squadron, Savannah, Ga.
13. March 2015–October 2017, Commander, 158th Airlift Squadron, Savannah, Ga
14. October 2017–November 2019, Deputy Group Commander, 165th Operations Group, Savannah, Ga.
15. November 2019–June 2022, Commander, 165th Operations Group, Savannah, Ga.
16. June 2022–June 2023, Vice Commander, 116th Air Control Wing, Robins, AFB, Ga.
17. June 2023 – present, Commander, 165th Airlift Wing, Savannah, Ga.
Rating: senior pilot, instructor pilot, evaluator pilot flight
Flight hours: more than 4,500
Aircraft flown: T-37, C-12, C-130E, WC-130, C-130H2, C-130H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon
AF Longevity Service with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 4 'M' Devices with oak leaf cluster
AF Training Ribbon